Tuesday, September 21, 2010

In Class: Previous Experiences

While I don't enjoy a peer reading my paper/essay and critiquing it, it is a useful tool in assisting the writer. I've noticed that as a writer my perspective can be much different then other students and this alone can provide helpful content. When I was attending LCC in Hawaii we did something similar with our history papers. The professor believed that due to the length of the paper 3 pages and the amount of material we were to cover, students would summarize their opinions well enough and would miss critical information. When my paper was reviewed I would have missed one minor thing that would have probably lost me a few points. Instead, I was able to change the paper and turn it in and I believe I got a high A.

What's also excellent about reviewing these types of papers is that it allows you to interpret things in ways you didn't think of. Even if you think the paper you were reading was written by the worst student in the class, it still presents an opportunity to see a different perspective. Say for example you're looking at logos and the writer presents a new way in seeing how something is logical, it might assist you in doing the same.

1 comment:

  1. Will,
    You make an excellent point that I hadn't thought of. I have to admit that I'm one of those people that hates these peer things, but you are really positive in your post and it helped me turn my attitude around and I think I'll be able to take full advantage of class on Thursday. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete