The process of observing Starbucks felt really awkward for me. I almost felt like a stalker as I gathered data on the establishment and each person coming in. To the untrained eye though I just looked like a normal person maybe doing my Math homework since I brought my Math book with me. In all I was extremely surprised to see what I saw as if you aren't closely watching you may not notice some of the discrepancies that I noted.
First and foremost, the whole business/professional theme holds true. Many of the people who came in (even on a Sunday) were wearing what I'd consider to be professional attire. What I was unsure of was whether it was because it was perhaps a Sunday and people were only wearing that because of church. With that, the employees behind the counter (all women) were wearing nice looking jeans with black dress shirts.
What was surprising to me was how the place was taken care of. The tables were dirty and were not wiped down even as I sat at them, the trash was close overfilling, napkins and straws were laying outside the trash. While the business/professional theme held true it was extremely messy which counted against the theme Starbucks attempted to foster.
Even the food and drink was subpar. I ordered just a Banana Chocolate Chip cake thing and it was terrible. Out of the 25 people who entered while I was there there was a complaint about the coffee one ordered (gave him vanilla and he ordered some hazelnut thing). They did however hold true to what one of the chalkboards said about if the coffee isn't perfect they'll make it right.
All in all I was a bit surprised as this establishment seemed to lack the cleanliness and order and impeccable service that i'm used to. While it wasn't extremely busy by any means the employees seemed to be a bit lazy and didn't do what they were supposed to.
No comments:
Post a Comment