Tuesday, September 7, 2010

In Class: Ethos Artifact

The artifact I received I actually no longer own. This artifact was given to me by my old Commander, Captain Jones. During a training exercise at Fort Hunter Ligget, California, I was preparing for my acceptance of a commission and was working directly for Captain Jones as the Assistant Battle Captain. Through this monthly training event I was tossed into the fire and had to constantly make ethical decisions that effected hundreds to thousands of Soldiers.Many times, I was by myself working as the Battle Captain and was responsible for three FOBs (Forward Operating Bases) and as the Battle Captain I was responsible for all major logistical support for these bases and their Soldiers.

When I first got to Fort Hunter Ligget to work under Captain Jones, he mentioned that he was going to "work the dog**** out of me" and would test me character. Throughout the exercise he learned my character and rewarded me. My Brigade Commander and Captain Jones went to go see the Commanding General at Fort Hunter Ligget to discuss the exercise and he was awarded a coin by the Deputy Commander. When we got outside he gave me the coin and told me that I had "busted my ***", "shown my character" and I was the reason he got the coin. The coin itself holds little value to me as I did the same and gave it to one of my NCO's that was working for me. The NCO performed similar to how I did yet received little recognition from the higher ups. The coin meant alot to him and i'm sure it motivated him for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment